This section of the Wild Atlantic Way takes you to the famous Ring of Kerry on a looped cycling route from the tourist hub of Killarney. This awe inspiring coastal cycling tour takes in pretty villages such as Sneem and Waterville, as well as beautiful stands such as Rossbeigh beach and the manicured Victorian gardens of Muckross Park, just outside Killarney.
For the first three days you will be cycling along the southern coast of the Iveragh Peninsula with the Beara Peninsula across the water on your left and the Macgillycuddy’s Reeks on your right. This mountain range is home to 9 of the 10 tallest mountains in Ireland; the tallest of all being Carrauntoohil (1038m). From the town of Waterville you will be able to spot the famous Skellig Islands, the spectacular site of a 6th century monastic settlement and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Reaching the coastal town of Portmagee you will have some time to explore Valentia Island, the site of the first permanent communication (telegraph) link between Europe and the United States.
The second half of this Wild Atlantic Way cycling tour will see you making your way back to Killarney across the more rural and flatter Northern side of the peninsula, passing towns such as Portmagee, Glenbeigh and Killorglin, home of the traditional Puck Fair. You will have views of the stunning Kerry coastline including the Dingle Peninsula, Rossbeigh and Inch beaches to your left. We have designed this Wild Atlantic Way cycling tour so you will stay in all the most important towns along this stunning route and with short cycling days, so you will have time to explore the history and heritage of along the way.
RING OF KERRY CYCLING TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
- Discover the native natural habitats in Killarney National Park
- Cycle the scenic Ring of Kerry, with stunning landscapes and ocean views
- Step back in time visiting ancient forts, castles, round towers and abbeys
- Enjoy a picnic on one of the many sandy beaches of the Iveragh Peninsula
VIEW OUR TOUR OPTIONS
- Ring of Kerry Loop – Standard:
- 7 days/ 6 nights. Departing the tourist hub of Killarney, cycling The Ring of Kerry, finishing your tour back in Killarney. Staying in our selected accommodation along the way.
- Ring of Kerry Loop – Extended Tour:
- 8 days/7 nights. Wild Atlantic Way cycling touring The Ring of Kerry from Killarney. Enjoying a day exploring Valentia or weather permitting Skellig Island. Staying in our selected accommodation along the way.