Achill Island GreenWay starts from the lively town of Westport and takes cyclists along the fantastic Great Western Greenway and the magnificent Spanish Coast road to Achill Island. After a tour of Achill, you will cycle back to Westport taking to the Greenway once more.
The Great Western Greenway follows a former railway line from Westport to Achill Sound and is the longest traffic free off-road cycling trail in Ireland. This is a fantastic start to your Wild Atlantic Way cycling tour, not too strenuous or taxing for anyone of moderate fitness, just a nice relaxing days cycle.
Along the way you will pass the town of Newport with its famous seven-arched viaduct over the Black Oak river; Mulranny and its stunning strand, before taking in the superb views of the Atlantic Drive on your way to Achill Island. Views of Clew Bay with Croagh Patrick in the distance, the ocean and the surrounding blanket bog are simply breath-taking. The Great Western Greenway has won several awards including European Destination of Excellence, an award for the community spirit of the Greenway land owners for allowing their land to be used and developed and an Irish Community and Council Award (LAMA).
As you cross the bridge in Achill Sound you will be entering Achill Island, a region of fascinating history and spectacular landscapes. The pirate queen Grace O’Malley (Granuaile) held control of various fortresses and houses along these shores and you will encounter one of her forts along the way. Keem Bay, at the edge of Achill, is home to one of the most idyllic beaches in Ireland.
ACHILL ISLAND GREENWAY CYCLING HIGHLIGHTS
- Taste some of the best seafood and fish in Westport
- Cycle the magnificent Great Western Greenway
- Enjoy a picnic and a swim in one of Achill Island’s blue flag beaches
- Reflect in the silence of the deserted village at Slievemore mountain
VIEW OUR TOUR OPTIONS
- Achill Island Loop – Short Break:
- 4 days/3 nights. Cycling the Great Western Greenway from Westport to Achill Sound (via Greenway and Spanish Coast Road – Atlantic Drive) and back to Westport (via Greenway).
- Achill Island Loop – Full:
- 6 days/5 nights. Cycling the Great Western Greenway from Westport to Achill Sound, enjoy a tour of Achill Island and then return to Westport via Mulranny.