Crossing the Wicklow Mountains and finishing in Dublin city, the beautiful Wicklow Way is Ireland’s classic hiking trail. Starting in the picturesque village of Clonegal, on the Wexford-Wicklow-Carlow border, The Wicklow Way takes walkers through pretty little Irish country small towns and villages where you can experience authentic Irish hospitality.
This is one of the great trails you can enjoy while hiking in Ireland. You will follow peaceful paths through ancient forests and open mountain trails to Glenmalure, Ireland’s longest glacial valley, enjoying spectacular mountain views. Glendalough Valley, in the heart of the Wicklow Mountains National Park, is one of the highlights of this walking tour both for its cultural importance and natural beauty. Step back in time in Glendalough with its 6th century monastic site and beautiful lakes. As the trail ascends you will be able to spot Lough Dan and Lough Tay, the lakes where popular TV series ‘Vikings’ is filmed. The walk finishes in the Victorian gardens of Marlay Park, 5km from Dublin’s lively city centre. There is something for everybody in Dublin, from festivals, markets and a lively night life to plenty of culture and heritage. Don’t miss Trinity College impressive library which houses The Book of Kells, Ireland’s most famous manuscript.
Walkers on The Wicklow Way will be following a variety of trails from quiet country roads (boreens) to forests, mountain paths and bogs. The terrain can be demanding in sections but achievable for walkers with average fitness. If you do take on the challenge, you will be rewarded with fantastic scenery and a wealth of history, as well as legendary Irish warmth and hospitality. This was the first way marked walking trail in Ireland, being formally established in 1980, and remains one of the country’s favourites. It is also part of a European long distance trek: the E8, covering 4,700 km from Cork through Britain, Europe and on to Turkey.
Please see our suggested itineraries below. In the following booking page you can customise your Wicklow Way route (start point, finish point and options that you would like to have).
VIEW OUR TOUR SUGGESTIONS
- The Wicklow Way – Short Break:
- 4 days/3 nights. Short break hiking The Wicklow Way from Glendalough to Glencree/Enniskerry, ideal for a long weekend.
- The Wicklow Way – Highlights:
- 5 days/4 nights. Discover the best of the Wicklow Way, walking from Glendalough back to Dublin through the Wicklow Mountains National Park.
- The Wicklow Way – Full Walk:
- 9 days/8 nights. Walk the full Wicklow Way from Clonegal to Dublin city, staying in our selected accommodation.
- The Wicklow Way – Guided Tour:
- 7 days/6 nights. Hike the Wicklow Way from Glenmalure to Dublin city with a like-minded group and experienced guide. Upcoming departures: June 2018.